I’ve gathered my best tips for an easier and better experience along St. Olavsleden trail – Enjoy!
- Invest in a pair of high-quality boots a couple of months before your hiking trip.
Get to know your boots, walk and spend as much time as you can in them to avoid blisters and other problem during your hike.
- Take care of your feet, wash them every day and change to dry and clean socks now and then. Personally, I prefer wool all year around.
- Don’t forget to wash yourselves to avoid blemishes and other problems. When sweating, salt gets on the body, which can cause blisters at high friction.
- Walk, walk and walk and run around every once in a while, it’s all about building up your strength and stamina. Problems can appear after a few days of monotonous walking.
- Hike short trips with overnight, so you’re prepared for things that may pop up. Also, pitch your tent at home and test to cook meals on your outdoor stove in advance – Get to know and live in nature!
- Pitch up and down your tent in bad weather to prepare yourself on how it works.
- Prepare to carry a backpack that is a bit heavier from time to time and learn where you keep your equipment so you can find them easily if needed.
- Try to pack your backpack so that all you need fits inside. When you walk for a long time, it’s often annoying to have lots of things hanging on the outside dangling and making noise.
- Learn how to read a map and use a compass, it will enhance your experience of the walk. GPS requires a battery and it’s not certain that it can be charged. To plan the next days hike with a map is the best evening joy.
- Cooking in nature is fun and food often tastes better outside than at home! Experiment with your stove and find your way to make delicious outdoor-food.
Hope my tips may be useful for your upcoming adventure!
More info about Sofie Jugård Löfgren and her Outdoor company Aktivut you’ll find here: www.aktivut.se